Monday, July 01, 2019

white light

Starting point for my latest feature in Chemistry & Industry was a press release from a company producing LED lights in Witney, Oxfordshire, so I took the bus up the road to find out what they are up to. Although the company HQ is in a business park out of town, I could do a bit of sightseeing from the top deck of the bus, and also got the thrill of crossing the Swinford toll bridge for the first (and second) time.

It turned out that the Witney company buys the LEDs from China and just configures the electronics around them to make sure the LEDs are happy and last longer, so there isn't any Witney-based chemistry in the feature, but I found out a few interesting things nonetheless.

My resulting feature is out now in Chemistry & Industry:

Whiter than white

Chemistry & Industry 83, No. 6, pp 30-33.

access via:

Wiley Online Library (paywalled)

SCI (appears to be open access this time!)


Any access problems give me a shout and I can send a PDF.

Oh and my feature is on the cover as well:




In the same issue I also have a long essay review of the book "Gravity's Century" , on page 39.


No comments: