Monday, September 09, 2019

save the sharks

We're culturally conditioned to see sharks as a threat to humans, but the reality is exactly the other way round. Humans are an enormous threat to a whole range of species of cartilaginous fish including sharks, rays and chimaeras. I wrote a feature about shark conservation back in 2014, but the recent news that the UK is actually exporting shark fins troubled me so much I decided to revisit the field. As a result I discovered more disturbing news - many people may be eating sharks without even realising it.

My new shark feature is out now:

Stop the global slaughter of sharks


Current Biology Volume 29, issue 17, pages R819-R829, September 9, 2019

FREE access to full text and PDF download






The whale shark (Rhincodon typus), the largest fish on our planet, has remained mysterious in many ways. (Photo: EliasSch/Pixabay.)

No comments: