Friday, April 19, 2024

the art of alchemy

Alchemy is of course a fascinating subject but also a frustrating one, and I always end up dazed and confused when I try to get into the mindset of the old alchemists. The medieval imagery connected with it, showing alchemists at work, their lab glassware, or their allegorical concepts of the world, may be somewhat more accessible, so I took the opportunity to read and review the book

Art of Alchemy: From the Middle Ages to Modern Times (Wunderkammer)
by David Brafman

which contains equal amounts of glorious images and almost comprehensible text. Now I'm still confused, but at least I have another beautiful book on my shelf.

More about my struggles with alchemy in my long essay review now out:

Alchemy in pictures

Chemistry & Industry Volume 88, Issue 4, April 2024, Page 35

access via:

Wiley Online Library (paywalled PDF of the whole review section)

SCI (premium content, ie members only)

As always, I'm happy to send a PDF on request.

Blackwells

No comments: