Monday, March 30, 2020

a moldy old story

Open Archive Day


For my features, I like make connections across time, space, phylogenetic groups, even scientific disciplines. I fondly remember this one from last year where I was able to cover a billion years and the evolutionary history of plants and fungi, around the globe of course, in the oceans and on the continents. Apparently, as I learned from this research, they were already cooperating before they even started to grow on the continents, so they may have helped each other to conquer land.


The resulting feature is now in the open archives:

The success story of plants and fungi





Over the last one billion years, fungi have evolved to co-operate closely with plants in multiple ways, from providing nutrients to aiding their decomposition. (Photo: adage/Pixabay.)

No comments: