Monday, March 27, 2023

silver linings

It's three years since some political leaders learned about exponentials and we all started the journey of discovering the lockdowns, contact tracing, zoom meetings, PPE crises, and all the other side effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. There have also been some silver linings, and one of them is that it has given a massive boost to medical research. We will soon see other mRNA vaccines for instance, and even the fight against malaria, a disease that has nothing in common with Covid, stands to benefit from some silver linings of the covid cloud, after a setback at the beginning of the pandemic.

So I've written a feature on the post-pandemic fresh start in the malaria field, which is out now:

New beginnings for malaria research

Current Biology Volume 33, Issue 6, 27. March 2023, Pages R203-R205

FREE access to full text and PDF download

See also my Mastodon thread where I highlighted all CB features of 2023.

I'm not on Instagram myself, but I believe if you follow CurrentBiology there, you'll find my features highlighted there as well.

The photo shows Anopheles stephensi, a mosquito species that is native to Asia but has recently been linked to urban outbreaks of malaria in Africa. (Photo: Jim Gathany.)

No comments: