Another news story on bees and and neonicotinoids. Over the last few years it has become clear that sublethal effects of the pesticides are very bad news for the success of bee colonies. The UK govt seems to think that bees could just say no to poisoned nectar.
Research from Geraldine Wright's lab now shows that they can't detect the poison with their sense of bitter taste. Worse still, they have a tendency to eat more of the toxic stuff. Full story out in Chemistry World, free access:
Bees 'prefer' neonicotinoid-laced nectar
Chemistry World 22.4.2015
The story also appears in the June issue of the printed magazine, on page 29.
own photo (not sure if I've used this one before?)
PS related news that came in just after this: