Saturday, March 23, 2019

tarka flute

All our instruments series, episode 9


Here's another recorder-type instrument that I've had since the 1980s at least, but I never even knew a thing about it (we didn't have wikipedia back then!). Based on the decoration style I assumed it was Mesoamerican, but I now found out it is a Tarka and they are believed to originate in Bolivia.



You can see immediately that the six holes are at equal distances and of equal size, so there is no way I could play notes of a Western type melody or scale, but it does allow some nice contrasting sounds. I am told in Bolivia it is used in carnival festivities. But as carnival has been and gone, I improvised some more subdued sounds on it:



Hey, I actually like the video. I should do improvised sounds more often in this series, rather than trying a set piece and making lots of mistakes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello, good day to you ,ihave a almost identical tanak like this im wanting to know how old it might be cud you tell me hiw old that o e is thanks