Saturday, October 21, 2023

three horsemen of distrust

One of the many worrying developments of our time is the growing lack of trust in objective rationally testable (and falsifiable) facts of science. I am on the lookout for explanations what went wrong with our science-based civilisation and how we can fix it, so was happy to review

Gary Smitn
Distrust: big data. data torturing and the assault on science
OUP 2023

Smith is an economist and maybe a bit more interested in the idiocies of bitcoin than I am, but otherwise he is very convincing in his analysis of three leading horsemen of the distrust apocalypse, namely disinformation, data torturing, and data mining. Ironically, all three are riding on the advances of the technological revolution that were supposed to make us smarter. Read all about it in the October issue of C & I:

What went wrong?

Chemistry & Industry Volume 87, Issue 10, October 2023, Page 34

access via:

Wiley Online Library (paywalled PDF of the whole review section)

SCI (premium content, ie members only)

As always, I'm happy to send a PDF on request.

OUP

I have no idea what the cover image is showing, but I like it.

No comments: