Friday, January 12, 2018

reformation remembered

Coming slightly late to the 500th anniversary party - I hear that my likely ancestor Peter Siegel (1485-1560), the first protestant vicar in the town of Kirn, was duly celebrated there on Reformation Day (31.10.).

A well-known actor, Rainer Furch, was engaged to impersonate Peter Siegel during a short piece about the reformation in Kirn, which he wrote and performed.

Incidentally, I was born in Kirn and baptised in Peter Siegel's church, although until very recently, we didn't know about him and I believed I was the first in the family to be born there. Although 3/16 of my ancestors hail from the general area, there was no specific link to the town, until we discovered Elisabeth Dammy, who was born there in 1654, and her ancestry of butchers, bakers etc. all working at Kirn.




Peter Siegel (right), as played by Rainer Furch, together with his current successor, Volker Dressel.

image source

No comments: