Monday, January 01, 2018

the urban ape


Open Archive Day



All of my Current Biology features from 2016 (and before) are now in the open archives - most of them are about ecology, evolution, conservation of microbial, plant and animal species, but some are also about the strange habits of our own species. One of the conspicuous traits of homo sapiens is that individuals tend to cluster in cities, following scale laws that have remained unchanged across time and space. As more than half of us now live in towns and cities, we are now officially the urban ape.

Back in 2016 I explored all the hows and whys and wherefores around the urbanisation of our species in a feature from which I retain some sort of warm glow, although I can't remember much of the details. Will have to reread it myself as well:

The urbanisation of our species





(Just a random photo of London, to be unoriginal. Taken at the Notting Hill Carnival 2017.)

No comments: