Monday, September 14, 2026

a bloomsbury collection

I've long been a fan of the Bloomsbury group simply based on the very amazing book by Virginia Nicholson, Among the Bohemians, which I read and reviewed in 2009. Later I also bought a big photo book about Charleston and watched the movie Carrington. And read a book about the actual neighbourhood of Bloomsbury. Five years ago, I read The hourss and blogged about the Bloomsbury set on that occasion. I guess what I love about the group is that it is like a big family of intellectuals, with everybody writing about everybody else, and a lot of the later material about Bloomsbury has been written by children and grandchildren of the original group, so it works a lot like family history on a celebrity level.

Now I picked up around ten Bloomsbury-related books from a neighbour clearing out stuff, so my collection now looks like this (minus the actual Book of Bloomsbury, which went into hiding as I was rounding up books for the photo):

Own photo.

So I'm now in the process of establishing a dedicated Bloomsbury shelf. Might even read one or two of the new acquisitions. Watch this space.

No comments: