Wednesday, July 26, 2023

an asynchronous quartet

some thoughts on

Quartet: How four women changed the musical world

Leah Broad

Faber & Faber 2023

I’ve been a huge fan of Rebecca Clarke’s sonata for viola ever since I first heard a student playing part of it at the Oxford Music Festival quite a few years ago. Which is why I pounced at the opportunity to hear this and more music by her at the Jacqueline DuPre Music building on International Women’s Day this year, performed by Rosalind Ventris (viola), Laura van der Heijden (cello) and Libby Burgess (piano).

There was a pre-concert talk held by Leah Broad, who was there to promote her brand-new book, a group biography of four female English composers, including Clarke. It was all really lovely and inspiring so I bought a copy of her book on the spot and started looking for further female composers to add to Cowley Orchestra's music library. When I got the chance, I started reading Quartet at chapter 3, where Rebecca Clarke comes into the story. The four composers are different generations, and Clarke is the second to make her appearance. One could object to the title giving the misleading impression of four musicians performing simultaneously.

To give a brief overview, we’re talking about

  • Ethel Smyth (1858-1944): known for her operas in her lifetime
  • Rebecca Clarke (1886-1979): best known for her chamber music
  • Dorothy Howell (1898-1982): piano and sacred music
  • Doreen Carwithen (1922-2003): prolific film composer

I was a bit sceptical of the whole concept of a group biography where the lives concerned span very different times, but I came around to acknowledging that it kind of works in this case, seeing that as rare “woman composers” in the fairly limited scene of English classical music, they were all handled as curiosities, and their works were sometimes billed together in concerts or radio broadcasts. And they faced similar dangers of being forgotten as soon as they were no longer able or willing to fight for their music to get airtime. So in the end, I returned to reading the bits I missed at the beginning, and learned a lot about the other composers too, of whose work I had been entirely unaware.

In a way, it was interesting to see Rebecca Clarke’s life woven into the lives of other women who have faced similar challenges before and after her, and I’m a sucker for everything about the Bloomsbury set, to which Ethel Smyth was connected through Virginia Woolf, and I was pleased to learn that Doreen Carwithen played a cello called Perky. However, at the end of the day, I’m sticking with the Rebecca fandom and would like to see her autobiography published (and/or a full-scale biography). I should really learn some of her cello work, and perhaps also the viola sonata (of which the composer also prepared a cello adaptation).

Blackwells

No comments: