Monday, December 18, 2023

cockles and mussels

... not only share the title of a folk song, they are also both bivalves, which is the topic of my latest feature. Considering that bivalves including mussels, clams, scallops, oysters and such like are omnipresent in cultural history, we still know surprisingly little about some important aspects of their biology. Accordingly, I have rounded up some things we are still learning from them, from underwater adhesion through to mirror optics.

The resulting feature is out now:

Learning from bivalves

Current Biology Volume 33, Issue 24, 18. December 2023, Pages R1263-R1265

Restricted access to full text and PDF download
(will become open access one year after publication)

Magic link for free access
(first seven weeks only)

See also my Mastodon thread where I highlighted all this year's CB features. With all 24 of them done, the thread is complete now. Will start a fresh one in the new year.

I wrote a few lines about Botticelli's very famous painting The birth of Venus but didn't include a picture of it in the article, so I'm showing it here instead. Image: Wikipedia

No comments: