Tuesday, May 20, 2008

science TV

It's great fun to watch when a stuffy old funding agency like the DFG (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft) starts running after the YouTube generation, with the worthy aim to get young people interested in science. The resulting "DFG Science TV" isn't bad, actually. I would even argue it's too good.

They announced a weekly video blog from ten research projects. Which I would have expected to be amateurish, as we scientists don't tend to be good at making videos or at appearing in them. What I've seen of the clips, however, was highly professionally edited and reminded me more of a BBC nature documentary cut into 3 min. pieces than of anything you'd expect to see on youtube or myspace videos.

I've done a short news feature on this for Current Biology. Alternatively, check out DFG Science TV for yourself. (Despite the English name, it's in German, still.)

No comments: