Monday, September 02, 2019

frack off

Open Archive Day

I only covered fracking in my features only once, I think, as I find it amounts to insulting people's intelligence to explain why this is a stupid idea, and even more so on a small and crowded island like this one. There's no space to build a high speed railway or to put up some wind generators, but messy gas production that causes earthquakes, sure we got space for that ...

So, experimental fracking attempts are still happening around here, except when they have to be stopped because of another earthquake (as happened again last week), until people have forgotten about that, and then they are started again.

I have no ambition to write another feature about that, so the old one from October 2013 will have to make do as my statement on these things:

Dash for gas leaves Earth to fry



Exploratory fracking operations in the UK have found enthusiastic support from the government, but fierce opposition from environmentalists and local residents. (Photo: courtesy of Sophie Yeo, RTCC (http://www.rtcc.org).)

No comments: