Sunday, April 03, 2011

chemistry landmark

I just spotted this weekend that the Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory in South Parks Road has acquired a second plaque. The first one honoured the work of crystallographer Dorothy Hodgkin, and the new one some discovery that led to today's lithium batteries:



The date on the plaque is when it was handed over to the department (see a short news release here, but I'm quite sure it hasn't been mounted on that wall for longer than two weeks when I spotted it this weekend. I love the hexagonal design of the new plaques. Places that get several of these will be able to create interesting polycyclic compounds from them ...

Now if somebody could find out why the lithium battery in my camera, only two years old, only lasts one day (80 photos), that would be very helpful.

No comments: