Monday, February 06, 2023

save our sharks

Humans vs sharks is a topic I have covered a couple of times before, but it bears repeating that the murderous monster is actually us, and the innocent victim the sharks. Nearly half a century after Jaws, cartilagenous fish are one of the most endangered groups of vertebrates, so I've rounded up some recent conservation news on sharks and rays, complete with an almost apology from Steven Spielberg. The feature is out today:

Sharks face the jaws of extinction

Current Biology Volume 33, Issue 3, 06. February 2023, Pages R85-R87

FREE access to full text and PDF download

See also my Mastodon thread where I highlighted all CB features of 2023.

Bull sharks (Carcharhinus leucas) in a Florida lagoon are exposed to toxins that are passed on through the food web. (Photo: amanderson2/Flickr (CC BY 2.0).)

PSA: I'm not on Instagram myself, but I believe if you follow CurrentBiology there, you'll find my features highlighted there as well.

No comments: