Monday, April 10, 2023

wandering wine

As the climate gets hotter, wine cultivars will have to move polewards to remain in favourable conditions (as I discussed previously in C&I). A recent massive genome study unravels the past moves of grapevines since their domestication so that's been a good excuse to write about wine and climate again, and also throw in a bit of family history (of which the longer version is here).

The resulting feature is out now:

Wine on the move

Current Biology Volume 33, Issue 7, 10. April 2023, Pages R239-R241

FREE access to full text and PDF download

See also my Mastodon thread where I highlighted all CB features of 2023.

I'm not on Instagram myself, but I believe if you follow CurrentBiology there, you'll find my features highlighted there as well.

Climate change has shifted the growth regions of traditional grapevine varieties, to the extent that merlot grapes can now be grown in Canada, as shown here in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia. (Photo: laughingmango/Getty images.)

No comments: