Sunday, May 26, 2024

a polar bear on holidays

Every picture tells a story, special edition.

Two years after I posted the photo of Heinrich and Maria and their friends posing with a fake polar bear I spotted another old photo with a similar bear posted on flickr by a collector of old photos. Here's a zoomed-in partial view of my earlier photo to remind you:

An exchange with the collector taught me that there are many of these photos, spanning from 1920 to 1970. There is a flickr gallery, and there has been an exhibition in Arles, accompanied by a book, reported in a Guardian article I missed when it came out, which was accompanied by another online gallery of bear photos.

Update 20.6.2024: Here's a new photo gallery of white bear pics taken din Zakopane, Poland.

All very exciting, but as far as I can see no clear answer re. how and why this fad arose. May just have been a business model for buskers?

I guess the polar bear makes marginally more sense in the context of a skiing resort, but there are others taken at beaches, at dance events, and with marching soldiers, so those polar bears do seem to get around a lot.

Quite a few of the flickr pics I liked had disabled sharing, but here's a few that should work - that bear does know how to have a good time:

ahlbeck-c1950er

The bear from the Arctic

Archiv B215 Urlaub in Heringsdorf, 1955

img048-foto-thaeterbansinc1950

No comments: