Sunday, June 23, 2019

i'm a tenor

All our instruments series, episode 14


ok, I'm not a tenor, but this recorder is one. I bought it in 2001 to play very simple flute duets with the young flautist in the family, but two years later I upgraded to a cheap flute, so this tenor never got to play that many duets.

It is a fairly standard Yamaha plastic thing with Baroque fingering (as opposed to the German fingering which I learned at school. There is an element in the sound of these plastic recorders that I don't like - later on in the series I'll come to recorders that I am much more excited about but I guess this one is ok, considering that it's a lot cheaper than the cheapest flute. I haven't taken it to any sessions so far, but I guess I should take it out every once in a while.

The Japanese company Yamaha, as I learned from Wikipedia, was founded in 1887 as a piano and reed organ manufacturing business and is now the world's largest maker of musical instruments. The eponymous motor cycles company is a spin-out from the corporation.



For the video I've played a C major scale over 2 octaves (only learned up to the E at school but have expanded my recorder technique a bit recently) and O son do ar by Luar na lubre, a tune that I often play but not on this instrument.




No comments: