Monday, September 14, 2026

a Bloomsbury collection

I've long been a fan of the Bloomsbury group simply based on the very amazing book by Virginia Nicholson, Among the Bohemians, which I read and reviewed in 2009. Later I also bought a big photo book about Charleston and watched the movie Carrington. And read a book about the actual neighbourhood of Bloomsbury. Five years ago, I read The hours and blogged about the Bloomsbury set on that occasion. I guess what I love about the group is that it is like a big family of intellectuals, with everybody writing about everybody else, and a lot of the later material about Bloomsbury has been written by children and grandchildren of the original group, so it works a lot like family history on a celebrity level.

Now I picked up around ten Bloomsbury-related books from neighbours clearing out stuff, so my collection now looks like this (minus the actual Book of Bloomsbury, which went into hiding as I was rounding up books for the photo):

Own photo.

So I'm now in the process of establishing a dedicated Bloomsbury shelf. Might even read one or two of the new acquisitions. Watch this space.

PS: I've now applied the new tag #bloomsbury to everything related to the group and/or the place (six entries so far). This has become necessary as I appear to have reviewed quite a few books published by Bloomsbury, so the search function yields a mixture of both kinds of entries.

No comments: