Saturday, July 25, 2026

a barefoot cellist

Thanks to a very inspired suggestion of the youtube bots, I discovered the performance of Dvorak's cello concerto by Anastasia Kobekina which opened the Schleswig Holstein Festival on 5.7. (the video here will only be available until July 27 but I am hoping it will pop up somewhere else after that). I guess the bots not only remembered that I love this concerto but also that I watched a number of movies from ex-Soviet Union countries with a manic pixie dream girl character in the main role. As the video fits all of these these criteria, it was an easy catch. (Anastasia Kobekina is Russian but has been living in Germany since the age of 18 or so, according to this German TV documentary about her.)

I'm loving her emotionally intense interpretation of the Dvorak to bits. As the cherry on the cake, I discovered some way into the Adagio that she was playing barefoot on this very posh occasion of a festival opening concert, so that just tipped me over and I had to look up her entire back catalogue as well. Turns out that she very much likes the repertoire pieces that I like, so I'll list a few links below to her videos of pieces for which I have the sheet music in the hope that it helps to inspire me to actually learn some of these pieces.

Barefoot publicity shot from her website.
©Nicolas Hudak_Sony Music Entertainment

Bach: Cello suites 2 and 3 - recorded in the plague year 2020, when I was also studying these suites.

Debussy: Cello Sonata - recorded 2018.

Franck sonata in A - recorded with an orchestra in 2017 at the Queen Elisabeth Competition, with other pieces including movements of the 6th Bach suite. I've played the Franck sonata on the flute at some point.

Haydn: Cello concerto Nr 2 in D - recorded with an orchestra in 2017 at the Queen Elisabeth Competition.

Marin Marais: Les folies d'Espagne - a music video filmed in 2022 to promote an album. More barefoot playing in this one. I tried this on the flute around the same time, but didn't get the hang of it.

Schubert: Arpeggione sonata - recorded in 2015 with a pianist. I've always loved the arpeggione sonata and actually played it on the flute when I had lessons. I also have the cello version, although my daughter's teacher insisted that it is too difficult for mere amateurs.

No comments: