Monday, March 28, 2022

antarctic under threat

Both Antarctic and Arctic temperatures were breaking records last week, and an Antarctic ice shelf collapsed - plenty of worrying news to underscore the point of my feature (prepared before these events), which is that Antarctica's frozen splendour is under threat from both climate change and invasive species.

Oh, and the discovery of the Endurance was reported the day before my copy deadline, I just about managaged to squeeze that in. Lots going on down there.

My feature is out now:

Pristine Antarctica exposed to change

Current Biology Volume 32, Issue 6, 28 March 2022, Pages R247-R249

FREE access to full text and PDF download

The arrival of ships from around the world raises the risk of non-native invasive species establishing populations in Antarctica. (Photo: Jason Auch/Wikimedia Commons (CC BY 2.0).)

NB: as the 2022 features move into the open archives, I will add them to this thread on Mastodon.

No comments: