Friday, December 23, 2022

nanoworld's submarines

Back in the 1990s, when I did research on the molecular machines in the cell and got excited about artificial nanomachines inspired by these, I wrote a whole book about this nature vs technology on the nanoscale thing: Travels to the Nanoworld.

In recent years, I haven't covered this field all that much, as I've move more into ecology/environment direction, but C&I kindly asked me to do a feature on miniature machines pegged to some exciting things that came out of Cornell's labs, so I did. It is out now:

Nano submarines

Chemistry & Industry Volume 86, Issue 12, December 2022, Pages 26-29

access via:

Wiley Online Library (paywalled)

SCI (open access)

Any access problems give me a shout and I can send a PDF file.

A scanning electron microscope image shows a cell-size robotic swimmer that can be powered and steered by ultrasound waves.
Wu Lab, Cornell University/Tao Luo, Xiamen University

No comments: