Thursday, December 22, 2022

games time

Every picture tells a story, season 2, picture 16.

It's also the season for board games, so here is Frieda the pianist as a budding granny playing a game with her first three grandchildren and their parents. I think I've seen this game before but can't remember what it's called or how it works.

What interests me more about this photo is the surrounding, with Frieda's piano in the background on the left and her middle daughter's violin on the top of it - although that middle daughter had already married and moved to a different country by that time. It boggles my mind that nobody alive has any memories of this instrument, even though it was always there for all to see. Also on the piano a portrait which I think is of Frieda's father, Heinrich the station master of Minden Stadt. Above the piano on the wall that could be a portrait of a composer (Schumann?).

Around the corner on the wall to the right of the piano, two family portraits. I've identified the one on the left here, and the other one is a portrait of her with Peter the customs officer, possibly taken on the occasion of their engagement. We still have both of these, still in their frames, but I don't have them here, will have to do a separate entry with the entire collection of photos seen around Frieda's flat. Heck, I may even be able to re-unite them with these tasteful antler-lamps. Watch this space.

PS come to think of it, I did a re-enactment of the violin lying on the piano, when both crossed paths again in Düsseldorf this June:

Update 25.12.2022 - I found a photo I took of the missing photo, still in the same frame, and positioned on the piano:

Navigation tools:

Season 2 so far:

  1. could be a cousin
  2. two weddings in Silesia
  3. off to Canada
  4. off to Australia
  5. a very romantic poet
  6. fireman August
  7. 50 hundredweight of coffee
  8. mysterious Minden people
  9. horses for Hedwig
  10. guessing the great-grandmothers
  11. cousin Charlotte
  12. three sisters
  13. travelling saleswoman
  14. family portrait
  15. dancing chemist
  16. games time

I started a twitter thread for season 2 here. However, as the bird site seems to be turning into an evil empire, I have now switched to logging the entries in a similar thread on Mastodon.

The twitter thread for season 1 is still here. It only loads 30 tweets at first, so you have to click "show more" a couple of times to get all 40 entries. Alternatively, visit the last instalment and find the numbered list of entries at the bottom.

I'm also adding all photos from this series to my family history album on flickr.

See also my Lost Cities series (which may get an extension at some point).

No comments: