Thursday, December 08, 2022

family portrait

Every picture tells a story, season 2, picture 14.

Writing the entries about the family of baker Adam Eberle in Lorsch in the first series, I thought that I didn't have a photo with all four children. Well I was mistaken, I do have at least a photo of a family portrait (not sure where the original is):

The boy is Peter, the youngest child. He was born in 1900, and his sisters in 1893 (Anna), 1895 (Babette) and 1897 (Dina). My guess would be that the photo may date from 1909/10.

Their mother is Anna Barbara Schütz, born 1860 in Nieder-Liebersbach. She was Adam's first cousin, his mother was her father's sister. So they only have three pairs of grandparents between them. All three families (Schütz, Schmidt, Eberle; further back: Treusch, Röder, Quick, Bangert, Kadel etc.) have been settled in the Odenwald region since the late 17th century, at which time inward migration from Switzerland, Thuringia, and elsewhere helped to revive the Odenwald villages depopulated by the 30-Years War (for details, see the update under this entry in the first series).

For easier comparison, I'll throw in the earlier photo with their house, which I shared before:

Navigation tools:

Season 2 so far:

  1. could be a cousin
  2. two weddings in Silesia
  3. off to Canada
  4. off to Australia
  5. a very romantic poet
  6. fireman August
  7. 50 hundredweight of coffee
  8. mysterious Minden people
  9. horses for Hedwig
  10. guessing the great-grandmothers
  11. cousin Charlotte
  12. three sisters
  13. travelling saleswoman
  14. family portrait

The twitter thread for season 2 is here.

As the bird site seems to be going the way of MySpace, I have built a similar thread on Mastodon, which is now up to date.

The twitter thread for season 1 is still here. It only loads 30 tweets at first, so you have to click "show more" a couple of times to get all 40 entries. Alternatively, visit the last instalment and find the numbered list of entries at the bottom.

I'm also adding all photos from this series to my family history album on flickr.

See also my Lost Cities series (which may get an extension at some point).

No comments: