Thursday, July 04, 2019

science news 4.7.2019

Today's selection of science news. Links are normally to press releases on EurekAlert (at the bottom end I may also add a couple of newspaper stories). I include quotes from the summary (using quotation marks) in cases where the title alone doesn't reveal what the story is about. My own thoughts appear without quotation marks, if I have any.


climate change

11% of destroyed moist tropical forests could be restored to boost climate, environment


humans

Murder in the Paleolithic? Evidence of violence behind human skull remains



Right lateral view of the Cioclovina calvaria exhibiting a large depressed fracture.
Credit: Kranoti et al, 2019

Ancient DNA sheds light on the origins of the Biblical Philistines
See also my feature on antiquity's genomes, now in the open archives.

Maize-centric diet may have contributed to ancient Maya collapse

Quorn protein builds muscle better than milk protein

No comments: