Thursday, March 02, 2023

old aunts and young children

Every picture tells a story, season 2, picture 25.

We have seen the three daughters from the bakery Adam Eberle at Lorsch as children here and two as young women here, but of course the surviving family remember them as old aunts who shared a household and a famously Spartan lifestyle. I was told they pinched every penny and never threw any food away even if it had gone off, even though they had considerable savings in the bank and owned property.

So here are some old aunty pics with select members of my generation, first all three in August 1961 with one of my cousins. I think this is the back of the house in Bahnhofstraße 27 where the bakery was many years before:

Aunt Anna worked as a community nurse and apparently never took off her uniform:

from the same set a scene at the dinner table to appreciate the interiors:

... and then Anna and Babette in August 1964 with yours truly (not sure of the location):

Dina had died in 1963.

NB this is my debut appearance in the series. In series 1, I had set my birth year as the cutoff, but in season 2 I loosened the rules to allow pictures from the mid and late 1960s as well.

Should anybody have any answers to some of the many questions I am raising in this series, please leave a comment here (I'll need to vet it, so it may take a few days before it goes public) or contact me at michaelgrr [at] yahoo [dot] co [dot] uk

Navigation tools:

Season 2 so far:

  1. could be a cousin
  2. two weddings in Silesia
  3. off to Canada
  4. off to Australia
  5. a very romantic poet
  6. fireman August
  7. 50 hundredweight of coffee
  8. mysterious Minden people
  9. horses for Hedwig
  10. guessing the great-grandmothers
  11. cousin Charlotte
  12. three sisters
  13. travelling saleswoman
  14. family portrait
  15. dancing chemist
  16. games time
  17. desperately searching Wilhelm
  18. the third Hedwig
  19. patchwork portraits
  20. missing brothers
  21. the oberlehrer's family
  22. a double wedding
  23. mystery solved
  24. young Frieda
  25. old aunts and young children

I started a twitter thread for season 2 here. However, as the bird site seems to be turning into an evil empire, I have now switched to logging the entries in a similar thread on Mastodon.

The twitter thread for season 1 is still here. It only loads 30 tweets at first, so you have to click "show more" a couple of times to get all 40 entries. Alternatively, visit the last instalment and find the numbered list of entries at the bottom.

I'm also adding all photos from this series to my family history album on flickr.

No comments: